Jillian
I'm still getting acquainted with my new surroundings here in Korea but there are quite a few very distinctive differences that I've observed so far.

I'm not about to sing praises for Korea yet based on my short stay here but these few observations are a far cry from what I've grown to live with.

For example, last Friday, Eric and I went to a bar downtown; a cozy little place named Sugar Joe's.

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say Malaysians have grown accustomed to dirty public toilets. In fact, I've written about this before in one of my previous entries. As I've said before, in many public toilets in Malaysia, one has to pay to use them, but this does not necessarily mean that hygiene is taken into consideration. Sugar Joe's was the first bar I've been to here in Daegu, naturally, I was very impressed with the condition of the bathroom(s). There were no footprints on the toilet seat and of course there were amenities such as toilet paper - yes, Malaysians do not believe in putting toilet paper in public bathroom.
(Note: In many public bathrooms, the toilet seat is removed due to this footprint phenomenon)

Why? Because most Malaysians are horrendously inconsiderate and a whole roll will disappear within three minutes.

The big surprise came when we hit the bars on Saturday night. But first, let me explain how a typical Saturday night out in a Malaysian bar/club is like. Generally, girls would avoid bringing a big purse to clubs due to pick pockets or simply for convenience sake as there is usually no space on the table(s) for it. Many (including myself) would carry a small clutch instead. Due to obvious constraints, one would not bring anything other than a few necessities. Then after a few drinks, we would head for the bathroom and discover that we would have to roll up our jeans, carefully balance the clutch between our knees, make sure our toes do not accidentally touch the wet floor (if we were wearing open toed shoes) and then realize that we do not have any tissue.

What to do then? Pee anyway.

Also, I might have failed to mention that more often than not, the floor would be covered in puke and all sorts of unimaginable grime. I'm so sick of the public toilets back home that I try very hard not to go in public at all - if I can.

Thus, you can imagine my delight when I found that not only the club bathroom has toilet paper, the floor was not covered in puke nor urine. And, as a bonus, they had soap! The joy of seeing soap in a club bathroom, this is almost an impossible sight in Malaysia. Often, one would see a soap dish/dispenser, but it would most definitely be empty. Yes, because it will be empty within five three minutes.

I'm trying not to sound like a country mouse here, but I cannot help it. I cannot understand how Malaysians cannot behave in a civilized manner. Not in every aspect just yet, but not squatting on the toilet seat could be a good place to start.

I do love Georgetown; where I grew up, I love being with my family and friends and most of all, I want to say I'm a proud Malaysian. But sadly, sometimes the latter isn't very easy.
Tags , | edit post
Rate This Entry 
0 Responses

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Creative Commons License
The Blog You Care About by Jillian is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.