Jillian R.
We've been talking about this for a while and finally today is the day that we're actually going on a city tour.

Living in Daegu has it's good moments, and of course, not short of the bad. It's true that I love cycling and jogging around the campus which Eric works; under the canopy of trees - I'm sure it will be beautiful come fall. However, it's also easy to hate Korea simply because of the negativity some of the people show us foreigners, like what happened during my last entry.

Anyway, I still want to give this place a shot before I make us pack up and leave. The trip costs 5,000
₩ (US$4.30) a piece and it takes us to popular tourist spots in Daegu. One can hop off the bus at any of the stops, then hop on the next bus which comes along to move on to another stop or to head back to the starting point...or not. I must say that of the very few things they do right, the tour bus scheduling is one of it!

Here are some of my notes during the trip:-

(Eric in front of arch)
√ First stop; Mt Palgong. The air is clean, took big gulps of mountain air, trying to clean my lungs; get city soot out, if that makes any sense.

√ Surroundings are beautiful. but I'm starting to see how similar everything looks compared to Mt Pagyesa, another mountain nearby that we've been before. Not only does it have the same arch leading to it; everything else looks the same too. On the left side of the road, there is a park and picnic area. On the right, a convenience store which looks exactly like the one of the foot of the other mountain.

√ Beyond the arch is a lake on the left and a parking lot on the right, yes, just like the other location.  I guess the saying "if you've seen one, you've seen them all" applies very well in Korea. It's like the entire country is designed by one city planner. I bet if a Korean is blindfolded and thrown out of a van, he wouldn't know which city he's in because everything looks the same here - literally! Buildings, shops, houses, roads, streets, junctions; you name it, all have the same color and general design.


(Not sure what the statues are supposed to be, but if it's the same as Chinese mythology; those are door spirits, guarding against evil)
√ Came across this funny looking booth;





It appears to be an information booth, but I think we have a problem; they seemed to have installed a regular screen instead of a touch-screen. However it's nice that it has a working air-conditioning unit though. Very efficient use of electricity indeed!


√ Once we go past the lake, the temples come to view. I must admit it's a nice sight, and brings a sense of nostalgia.


(Walking towards the cluster of temples. Feels like going back in time)
(He wanted to hit the gong quite badly)
("That's a big fish!")

√ Next up, Palgong Spa Hotel; a hot spring facility. Public baths are very popular here in Korea and one day I intend to try it out. I didn't know that we are stopping at a public bath, therefore without my trusty bathroom slippers, I am sitting here, writing instead of enjoying the steam. One of my biggest fears is that a glob of hair will climb on board one of my toes.

That was all my notes on the trip.


The real adventure however, began when Eric left his organizer on the tour bus on the way home. Getting it back was definitely very stressful, but in the end, nothing was missing. Sometimes, when I come across honest people, I feel that perhaps, the world is not so bad after all...
Tags , | edit post
Rate This Entry 
2 Responses
  1. Jack Says:

    Nice entry & pictures Jillian :) Jack Auxier


  2. Jillian R. Says:

    Thanks for stopping by =) I appreciate it!


Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Creative Commons License
The Blog You Care About by Jillian is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.