Jillian R.
It's no secret that I turn into a control freak when it comes to cleaning. I order Eric to pick up his dirty laundry off the floor and would often snap up his balled-up socks and toss them in the laundry basket if he dares leave them on the floor for a second. His argument that "I just wore them once!" would fall on deaf ears. Sometimes some nagging would ensue.

It's not enough that I have to constantly check the closet in case Eric (secretly) starts hanging up his clean-ish (shirts worn once/twice) back with the clean ones; I have to fight a losing battle with the dust in the apartment.

I'm not sure I can say the same for the other major cities in Korea, but as for Daegu, I'm quite certain that this will be the most polluted, dustiest city I'll ever live in - assuming that I never move to India or China...or equivalent. Look, even living in Kuala Lumpur wasn't this bad!



Back when I worked at the English academy here, I would clean the apartment every weekend. And after that I would always take a long long nap right after because in less than a week, the entire apartment would be covered in a thick layer of dust. Now, going freelance I am able to clean more often; so I thought if I cleaned twice a week I would have the upper hand.

But like everything else here in Korea, whatever it is you think you know, you're wrong!

For example, you'd think; however poor the quality of honey here, how bad can it get? It's HONEY...

Well, we learned a valuable lesson recently; never misjudge the Koreans. When you think they can't get any worse - they do! We bought some honey on sale last week and of course not being able to understand what it says on the bottle, we bought two bottles because the label shows some flowers. Eric even said "Ooh, it's mixed flower honey, must be good".

When Eric gave me a cup of tea with the new honey, I took a sip and immediately decided that he must've used a dirty cup because the tea tasted extremely weird. I didn't want to hurt his feelings so I finished it. I kept it to myself (still thinking it was a dirty cup) until several days later when he again made me a cup of tea with the honey.

Me: Um, what did you put in my tea?
Eric: Nothing, just the honey.
Me: Oh...is it just me or do you think the honey tastes very very strange? Kinda like beondegi smell.


(If you walk by a Korean street stall selling these worms, you might wanna hurry along, because they smell like death, I mean literally) 


Eric: Yeah I noticed, but the taste doesn't bother me.
Me: *Stares* OMG! Why didn't you tell me it was weird? I thought There were bugs in my cup!!
Eric: Maybe it's wasp honey. Maybe they're so confused that they thought yellow jacket wasps are bees.
Me: *Closes eyes* *purses lips tightly for a few seconds* It's worm honey! Beondegi honey. They're Koreans, they'll eat anything.
Eric: Jillian, it's wasps!
Me: I can't! I just can't anymore! How could they screw up honey?!!! How? It's just honey! Honey is always good!
Eric: *laughs*
Me: It's not funny!


I know I'm supposed to focus only on the positive elements here, I sincerely want to try but more often than not, it's the little details that get me.

At least the leaves are changing, that's something to look forward to.

Score: Korea versus Jillian; Korea is winning 2:0
Tags , | edit post
Rate This Entry 
0 Responses

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Creative Commons License
The Blog You Care About by Jillian is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.