Jillian R.
I don’t know why it has taken me so long to write this entry but here it is; I’ve been living amongst filth since moving to Muscat. Literally.

Here, take a look at these pictures;


(I can honestly say that I've NEVER thrown a whole plastic bag full of garbage on the ground like that in my ENTIRE life)

This is the alley beside our villa. This morning I found a pizza box and a bag of garbage there, among other things. I don’t get it, so someone ate a pizza in their car, and then dumped the box on the ground? (There’s also the question of why would someone eat a whole pizza in the car, couldn’t they eat in the restaurant, or go HOME?). It couldn’t be that they ate it at home, then WALK outside to dump it – this takes more energy to do than to just throw it in the house, right? Usually big pieces of garbage like these will be picked up by the local Municipality within a few days, if we’re lucky.

You still think I’m exaggerating about the trash, don’t you? Well that’s just the beginning of a series of pictures I took this morning.




If you look down the alley, you will see a variety of things on the ground. See those empty bottles? Those have been there for weeks. The “Municipality” just ignores it every day. There used to be broken pieces of glass on the ground too; I thought if I glued all the pieces together I could make a whole window. I was afraid Jester would hurt himself stepping on glass so I’ve hired someone to clean up the pieces. Of course, the guy just cleaned up the glass and nothing else. The bag lying on the bush is new; it’s only been there for two days.



Jester doesn’t really seem to mind the dirt very much. He’s such a good little boy.



This is the villa across the street. See the bottle and bag of garbage? That bottle has been there for quite a while. That villa has the only tree within our 10-villa radius, so when the ground gets too hot in the afternoons, I take Jester there. There’s usually a car parked there, so we have to squeeze around it. If you look closely at this picture, you will see a stream of water flowing down their street. A few villas down, someone was wasting gallons and gallons of water washing their car or hosing down their driveway. It happens every day. To think all they have to do is collect their A/C water and hose down their driveways with it, considering how much people use A/C’s here. At least that’s what I do. Ok, we don’t have a driveway, so I wash our deck with the recycled water. It makes me feel like I’m doing my (very small) part for Mother Nature.



These are the garbage cans for our villa. That office chair has been there since we moved in (February). By the looks of it, it will never be removed. Anyway, remember, I took these pictures in the morning, by evening; the area around them will be piled up with bags of garbage. Well actually, we’ll be lucky if there are any bags. I don’t know which tenant, although I have a strong suspicion that it is the douchey-looking-guy (pardon the language)-who-lives-downstairs-who-never-smiles-and-always-has-a-snarly-expression-on-his-face whose too lazy to lift the lid and throw his garbage. He always leaves a soda can or a paper cup or plate on top of the garbage cans. Once, one of the girls downstairs had a barbeque downstairs with her friends and the next day, we found chicken bones and paper cups, plates, cutlery strewn on the ground. We have a domestic worker who comes in every day to empty the trash, water the plants and clean around the compound; but really? Oily chicken bones? Rats or rodents apparently don’t bother them.

Our domestic worker has his faults too. I will have to have a word with him very soon; once we came home after he took out the trash. In our hands we had a juice bottle and a “Corn-in-a-Cup” cup which we kept in the car until we got home. He told us to leave the bottle and the cup on top of the bin. So we did, thinking he would bring them out with him when he left. A few minutes later, I found the juice bottle and the paper cup in the alley. The guy had left. What did I do? Well, I picked them up and threw them back in the bin.

See? I don’t get it, why? Why can’t he leave the bottle and the cup in the garbage can until the following day?

But then again…as we “normal” people say here, Why Ask Why?
Tags | edit post
Rate This Entry 
0 Responses

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Creative Commons License
The Blog You Care About by Jillian is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.