Jillian R.
I know this is very random and quite pointless really, but;


Duvets;


Whoever invited the use of duvets (whom I assume was French) sure had a spark of pure genius. I guess in those days people got sick of hand-washing huge, heavy quilts and blankets and decided, "Hey, let's just put a cover over the huge, heavy quilts and just wash those!"


I've always used duvets in hotels and thought to myself; "How do they put the duvets in the covers?" It had always seemed like an impossible task to me - here, put this big soft quilt into another big soft sheet with a small-ish hole on one side.


Anyway, moving to Abu Dhabi and having our own unfurnished apartment gave me the opportunity to furnish every room to MY liking and buy fixtures that I like. Unlike while I was living with my parents; whom are (very) Chinese and "cannot" see in soft lighting and have to have fluorescent or white lighting at home, I get to have soft lighting in every room while the main hallway in the apartment is lit by a row of very beautiful off-white lighting.


In Oman, the villa we had was always, always hot because our landlord was too cheap to patch up holes in the wall with cement (caused by window A/C units - which he uninstalled), so he patched them up with wooden boards. Naturally, in the hottest place on Earth (okay, 4th, according to this website), our little A/C could never produce enough cool air to cool two people (and a dog), we only used a flat sheet as a blanket while the quilt was mostly thrown on the floor or stuffed in the wardrobe. Oh, Daegu? Well in Daegu, duvets were sometimes available at a very high price and duvet covers were almost non-existent. I stopped looking after a while, so they may have turned up after that, I wouldn't have known.


Having said that, it is only NOW, that I finally get to have a proper set of bedding which consists of four pillows with matching pillow cases of course, matching fitted jersey sheet (which we never got to use in Oman because our FOAM mattress didn't allow any air flow, so cotton was the only tolerable option) flat sheet, and of course, a very soft duvet with cover.


Changing the cover was difficult at first, Eric and I took turns crawling into the cover to smooth out the duvet. We laughed till our stomachs hurt watching the other try and then crawling back out and say "Oh yeah? YOU try!!".


Seriously though, all the crawling and laughing wasn't necessary, just watch the following video:-


http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-put-on-a-duvet-cover

Ahh, again, genius! No more stuffing big quilts into washing machines (I don't believe in sending bedding for laundry, because I don't like the thought of someone else handling something I sleep in, same goes for delicates)!
0 Responses

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Creative Commons License
The Blog You Care About by Jillian is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.