Jillian R.
I promise that what I'm about to share with you, your dog(s) will absolutely L.O.V.E. It will also probably satisfy the most picky eaters. I know because our Jester is one who turns away from the most delicious-smelling store-bought doggie treats. When chewed, these treats make LOUD crunchy sounds, and of course, which dog does not like to crunch things?!

I started making these chicken treats because Ginger has Colitis and has to be on a strict diet. The only treat (besides her prescription food) she is allowed to have is chicken. It only took a few pieces to get the dogs to do whatever we want. I now use these as high value treats, together with other home-made treats which the dogs also love (but not as much) for training.



What you need:-
4 Chicken Breasts (the lower in fat, the better)
A pinch of salt

1. Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F. Put chicken breasts in a pot and fill with water just enough to cover them. Add a pinch of salt.

2. Bring water to a boil. Remove lid so that it doesn't boil over and continue cooking for 10 mins or so or until chicken is cooked. Do not overcook as we do not want the chicken breasts to have a stringy texture.

3. Remove chicken from stock. I reserve the stock to pour over the dogs' food - they love having a bit of gravy.

4. Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, cut into medallions.
(I like cutting it against the grain so it doesn't flake when baked)

5. Cut the medallions into bite-size cubes. 
(Note: Make sure your cubes are smaller for smaller/older dogs. I like bigger chunks like these because it's easier to handle during training)

6. Place chicken cubes on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 45 mins to an hour, or until the cubes turn golden brown.


7. When chicken pieces are done, place them in a microwave safe dish, cover (optional) and microwave on high for 4 minutes.

(Note: You don't have to microwave, but I find that this last step really helps zap up any moisture left in the chicken and turns it harder and crispier. Skip this step for puppies and seniors)

8. When they cool, place the chicken cubes in a Ziploc bag or airtight container. They keep in the refrigerator for up to a month (or longer, I can't say, because my dogs gobble them up so quickly that I make a new batch every other week!). They do just fine in room temperature too.

I like to place a small jar (top picture) of it by the door so that I could easily grab some and throw them into my pocket as I take the dogs out. These are a good distraction if Jester sees a cat (or laborer) during walks.

Try this out. If you like making your own dog treats like I do, this is as easy as it gets. I guess if your dog loves other meats more than chicken (is that even possible?) you can easily substitute the chicken breasts for beef chunks, etc. 

I hope this post inspires you to make your own dog treats. If you like knowing what you put in your food, why shouldn't you know what your dog is eating? I've stopped buying dog biscuits and treats a long time ago - only the best for our babies!
0 Responses

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Creative Commons License
The Blog You Care About by Jillian is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.