Jillian R.
I'm 38 weeks pregnant and am swollen, achy and in pain almost all day, every day. Every other day, we drive 45 mins (it used to be a 20 min drive from our apartment, then we moved) into the city to see my OBGYN who checks up on me and tells me to go home and wait for my cervix to dilate some more. I was 2.5 cm dilated last week. At this point, every time I see her, I beg her to induce labor but every time she says it's better to just wait. So I reluctantly come home and wait. Not. Happy.

Anyway, in spite of all the pain and discomfort I'm going through, I have to deal with my maid from hell (MFH).

To understand my predicament, allow me start from the beginning. When we moved into our new villa, we had to sell our two year old range cooker which I really, REALLY love because the villa already comes with one. My range was so new and clean even at two years old that if I put it back in the store you wouldn't be able to tell that it's been used.




On her first day of work, while showing her around, I happened to casually mention to MFH that we were selling the stove and how upset I was because the landlord's stove has a ceramic top (I've always preferred a range with a gas top but an oven that is electric) and is a bit smaller than mine. Also, it needed some elbow grease. It was then that she mentioned that she and the husband were moving into a new place and were looking to buy a range cooker. I was a bit reluctant to sell such a big appliance to her at first because I felt like we should be paying her, not the other way around, plus we had just met and this will be a cash transaction after all, so it might not be a very ideal situation. However, after discussing with Eric and spending the day with the MFH, a deal was struck. We were to hold the stove for her till the end of the month (today!) and she would cart it away and pay us. Win-win, right?

A week in, even though her work was far from satisfactory, I really wanted to give her a chance because she seemed like a nice girl and looked like she had (fake) initiative when I tell her things. One evening she called and told us that they happened to have a truck ready and if they could cart the stove away then and that she would give us a third of the price first and pay the rest with her wages. Call us nice, or gullible (I can't decide anymore), we agreed.

Now, there are many reasons for me to let her go, here are just a few;

- Showed up 15 mins late everyday, EXCEPT on the one day that I expected her to be late like all the other days, and jumped in the shower, she showed up on time and I had to get out of the shower dripping wet to let her in, risking falling down the stairs (I was very careful though).
(We now established that the later time is the time she is supposed to start)

- She normally comes in the afternoon, but there was once she said she would come at 8 am. I get up at 6 every morning, so that wasn't too early for me. The problem was, instead of going through my "morning stuff",  I showered, got dressed and waited for her - let me just say that I am not the kind of person who just lays around in jammies while the maid cleans around me. I get up and help her, since I need the light exercise anyway. She never showed up. It was until about 2 pm that I got a text from her saying that she was sick. Correct me if I'm wrong, but even being sick, one could still text on time, not six hours late!

- And it's like I never ever learn! MFH saw one of my cookbooks and asked to borrow it. I let her. Two weeks later, I got it back and it was dog-eared to heck! And I mean, deep, deep lines that you can't unfold. 10-15 pages of ruined, GLOSSY paper. I can't even look at the book now without feeling like having a good cry. She apologized but apologies cannot unfold glossy pages. I was so shocked when she returned the book in that state that when she asked to borrow another glossy cookbook I just weakly nodded while Eric sort of rub-pat my back to console me. I told her never to dog-ear my books. I haven't gotten the second book back yet. We shall see.

- Today; I guess I should take it as an improvement, 10 minutes before her work time is supposed to start, I got a text message from her saying she was sick. This was AFTER I spent the morning giving her a head start by vacuuming the house. I thought at least she could just mop and tidy up. Easy day. Not.

See, now I'm in a pickle. I need to get rid of her but she might just disappear with the rest of the money she owes us. Her wages are nowhere near the amount - with her being sick and not turning up half the time. Plus, I want my second cookbook back.

I really didn't want to have a maid in the first place, but Eric, the ever loving husband that he is, convinced me that having help during these last few weeks of pregnancy would help tremendously. I thought so too, except this is more stressful and aggravating than helpful. The MFH did help me unpack boxes while Eric went to work every day though; without her which I wouldn't be able to do because I'm not allowed (and can't) lift heavy things.

I really need to see how all this plays out. I'm sure I will have more updates soon. So don't go anywhere.
0 Responses

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Creative Commons License
The Blog You Care About by Jillian is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.