Jillian R.
As promised, here's my account, or at least what I thought (everything happened so fast and sudden, it still feels quite surreal to me) was baby Scarlett's journey into the world.

Scarlett Sarai R. 

In my previous entry, I wrote that two weeks or so before I gave birth, I went to my OB/GYN who told me that my baby might come that night itself or within the next couple of days as I was 2.5 cm dilated. I immediately panicked as our baby shopping wasn't completed just yet. So, we went home, grabbed my already packed bags (mine and the baby's), threw them in the car and waited for the labor pains to start - and as you all know, nothing happened. Every other day after that, we went and see my OB/GYN who checked me and said "few more days habibi (which means darling, I think), go home and wait!".

The days leading to October 1st rolled by normally, well sort of. I would feel a mild contraction now and then which I dismissed as another Braxton Hicks. It was uncomfortable, but not to the extend that I was immobile or anything. I was still vacuuming, mopping, washing the balcony with buckets of water, cooking and walking my dogs. Little did I know that I was in labor the whole time! Yes, I was in labor for two weeks! A very slow, gradual, painless labor!

On the day of delivery, we went to the OB/GYN for what I thought was another routine check up and would be sent home, again. In fact, I had a pot of fresh, homemade soy milk cooling on the stove. When we got to the doctor's, she told me that I was already 4 cm dilated and I needed to go to the hospital immediately. The fear and shock on my face was apparently quite obvious because she called the head of the anesthesiology department to prep me for my epidural. Yeah, I've been quite a baby about pain my entire life (and always will be) and had been bugging her with lots of questions (some quite unnecessary, I know now) about pain management throughout my pregnancy.

So I got to the hospital at about 5.45 pm and was immediately sent into the delivery room. By the time I saw the anesthesiologist, I was shaking (again, unnecessarily) and I remember asking him what if I moved as he was injecting the epidural needle and become paralyzed. He was a very cheerful chap and told me not to worry. I still worried though, until he said that the first needle is only as thin as an insulin needle, that was KEY! I relaxed considerably because I watch Eric, a diabetic, inject insulin everyday!

After that, I don't really remember what happened; besides shaking violently like I was having a seizure (effects of the epidural), watching "My Cousin Vinny" - which happens to be one of my all time favorites, and texting my family on Whatsapp. At about 6.30 pm; I remember craning my neck to look at the clock which was behind me because I made them put my phone away because I was afraid that the signal would interfere with the baby monitor (I was in labor, nothing I did or say needed to make sense), my OB/GYN came in and told me I was 10 cm dilated and that I was ready, the baby was coming!

I felt nothing! No pain! The relief I felt was enough to get me through the last bit of it all!

Then came the difficult part. Pushing the baby out. I guess because English is not their first language, my midwife and doctor didn't use key words such as "hold your breath then push" so I wasn't pushing right. This was when Eric started guiding me. He was such an amazing birthing coach and by 7.45 pm, baby Scarlett was born!

The pain? Honestly I thought it would be a thousand times worse but it wasn't. I always knew I wasn't brave enough to ever attempt a natural birth without drugs, and I was right, thank god for the epidural! I never felt any pain from the contractions and the baby popping hurt just a second.

After what seemed like the longest time, they cleaned the baby up and placed her in my arms. I did feel all euphoric but not for the reasons that people often tell me about or show on TV, I felt euphoric because I did it, I gave birth, I never thought I could do it.


More to come on how the baby has (or hasn't) changed our lives soon!

Oh yeah, the soy milk had to be thrown out because it sat out for two days and was curdled when we got home :(

Tags , , | edit post
Rate This Entry 
0 Responses

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Creative Commons License
The Blog You Care About by Jillian is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.