Jillian R.

In just a blink of an eye, we've lived in Abu Dhabi, UAE for 6 years! The laws in the country are strict and even more so for expats. Social media law especially, but often times gray. For example, anyone can feel "offended" over something on social media and report could lodge a police report against the person who posted it. The most bizarre one that I was aware of just happened a few days ago, I read it as I was waiting to board our flight at the airport. A woman asked on a Q&A group where/who should she lodge a report against Google (yes, you read right, GOOGLE!) for spitting out racist/sexist search results against South Indian Women - along with screenshots. I grabbed my imaginary popcorn and read all the comments of course, what else?!

Another woman was fined and deported for posting a picture on her Facebook of a badly parked car, taking up TWO DISABLED parking spots. She blurred out the number plate but obviously some people (or the owner of the said car her/himself) felt offended and reported her to the police. She was promptly arrested. You can read about it here.

One could also get arrested by using the middle finger emoji on Whatsapp and/or other social media platforms. The list goes on, hence I decided to take a hiatus from blogging since there's only so much vocabulary I know to write something and not offend anybody. Plus where's the fun in only writing about nice, pleasant things all the time. For that, I'd just read the local newspapers or listen to innocent banter about what songs people sing while taking a shower on the radio - in British accent.

Now that I am safely out of the country and have landed in sweet, sweet America, and although I'm Malaysian and proud to be one, have felt completely at home from the first time I stepped on American soil. I have so much to share, my experiences living in the UAE, both as an Asian woman and as an expat mother. Stay tuned for more! The blog YOU care about is back!!!

0 Responses

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Creative Commons License
The Blog You Care About by Jillian is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.